In terms of what we had to do to our house after we moved in...we've gotten pretty lucky. Sure we painted almost every room...and Scott has now changed almost every light fixture in the entire house...but that was because we wanted it to be our style.
Other than adding a deck (coming very soon) landscaping/killing weeds (in progress) and replacing carpet (this will have to wait), there wasn't a whole lot that HAD to be done. We got VERY lucky!
After Christmas and a housewarming party, we were fortunate enough to have gift cards to use at Lowes & Home Depot. We chose to add hardware to our cabinets in the kitchen (somewhat out of necesity, we kept stubbing our fingers) and then we decided that since the flooring in the master bathroom and the full bath in the hall upstairs wasn't that great, that we would replace them with new peel and stick tile. Easy right? Maybe...
Here's what we started with:
Honestly not THAT bad...we could have lived with it for awhile. See the red arrow? That was the first clue that it needed replaced. It was a sheet of vinyl and apparently when this house was built 8 years ago, they didn't put it in correctly because it had started to bubble up and peel away from the corners. 
So one afternoon I peeled the floor up...hoping to find a subfloor completely in place. It was! Score 1 for us.
I was left with a pile of vinyl.
Then I added some primer, which was this milk-ish substance that smelled terrible. Whatever. I guess it helps the tile stick better so there you go. After that was dry, I started on the tile...and my lovely husband was able to finish it for me. (apparently I have a problem cutting straight lines. Weird. You'd think a scrapbooker like myself wouldn't have issues like that) Here's the finished product! I think it looks great.
Yes we took the door off, but only so it would be a little easier to work.
Now on to project number 2...the master bathroom!
I've already got the old floor up, and the primer is next.



No comments:
Post a Comment